Blogger Wordpress Gadgets

Wednesday 4 February 2015

Giant Granny Square Blanket



Cosy Cat Crochet




I was sorting through my wool stash after
Christmas and came across a
bag full of wool I had bought from Poundland
of all places.
I must confess,
I couldn't even remember buying the stuff.



I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the wool.
Sometimes cheap wool is exactly that,
c-h-e-a-p.
This wool however,
 felt quite soft to the touch
and the choice of colours weren't bad either.

I pondered for a little while, 'what on earth I could do with it?',
and the idea for a little blanket for Jaffa
came to mind.

Everyone in the house has had something made for them
in recent months
but poor Jaffa has been somewhat forgotten about.


I have mentioned my cat,
Jaffa, 
to you before
a.k.a. Stupid Cat
He is not the most affectionate of cats.
In fact, any affection is very much on his terms.
He does't' do cuddles or sitting on your lap,
only wants to be touched when he is hungry,
and has the philosophy
"why scratch when a hiss will do?"

Over the years, we have all come to have
mutual understanding
for each other.
We have our space and he has his own.
The children learnt from a very early age not to bother him.
On the odd occasion he strolls upstairs to see
what is going on,
the kids tend to stiffen up into rigid statues and inform me
"Jaffa is up here".
It's actually quite funny to see their reaction to him
(in a cruel way).

I know my description makes him sound awful
but he really is not all that bad.
You just need to know how to treat him.

So I thought best to keep the design simple,
and plumped for a giant granny square style.



I ran an alternate row of white with each colour,
which looked quite pretty,
and seemed to accentuate the contrasting colours.

The wool was comfortable to work with,
and didn't split or separate either.

In all, I would say this wool was not a bad buy.

I do read some of the brilliant blogs out there,
where they use such beautiful
(and terribly) expensive wools,
and wish my purse strings could stretch
to such luxurious buys.
A girl can dream, right ?

Any how, my little cat blankie came together
 in the space of a couple of evenings
and the pom poms on each corner were a fun project for
Miss B and me to play around with.


This was such a quick and simple project
and the end result was very satisfying.

I think Jaffa was suitably impressed with his present too.


Until next time, enjoy your day.




x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the blanket well done. I also use pound shops for yarn, currently using a chunky yarn for a round granny rug .. it feels amazing .. really soft. As for the cat, entice with treats gradually from your feet moving up to your lap ... he'll son get the message that being close means cuddles, strokes and affection. Make sure you get 'Dreamies', never met a cat who didn't like them. :-)