Blogger Wordpress Gadgets

Monday 14 April 2014

Happy Easter


Chocolate and Hazelnut 
Easter Cupcakes


Easter has finally arrived. 
It does feel rather late this year.
Miss B has been counting down the days to finishing school.
If nothing else, it has helped her understand how the calendar works and to remind me of the date.
I tend to forget what day it is, never mind what the date is.

Miss Bee had her Easter party at Rainbows the other day, for which we were asked
to send in some nice treats.
My mind instantly thought of CHOCOLATE.
I wonder where the association of Easter and chocolate came from?
But who cares? Any excuse to eat, bake with, 
and enjoy Chocolate, 
is good enough for me.

I had a jar of Nutella in the cupboard which had miraculously managed to remain unopened, 
but I knew it was time to unscrew the top and let it go.

So my recipe choice had to include this most divine of indulgent ingredients.

I browsed through my recipe books and came across this recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery.

This was the first baking book I bought a few years ago, that I think was responsible for igniting my forgotten love of baking.

I have referred back to it so many times, and the favourite recipes have greasy fingerprints and food splattered all over them.

It is truly loved in the Busy Bee house.


You will need :



For the cupcakes -

  • 100g plain flour
  • 20g cocoa powder
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 40g butter, room temperature
  • 120ml whole milk
  • 1 egg
  • 120g Nutella (or something similar)

For the frosting -


  • 250g icing sugar, sifted
  • 80g unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 25ml whole milk
  • 90 Nutella

1. Pre heat the oven to 170c / 150c fan and line a 12 hole cake tin with paper cases.

2. Cream the butter and sugar together with a hand held whisk. 
This will not come together as the usual smooth mixture due to small amount of butter, 
but should resemble more of a sandy texture.
Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, and get it all a whisk until it has mixed together nicely.





3.Slowly pour the milk into the flour mixture, beating well until all the ingredients are well mixed.
Add the egg and beat well. 
Bring together with a spatula, 
scraping excess from the sides of the bowl.



4. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. I found an ice cream scoop very helpful for this.
You get an equal quantity in each paper case, and the mixture comes out easily with the squeeze of the handle.



5. Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched.
Leave the cupcakes to cool completely before the next stage.

6. When the cupcakes are cold, hollow out a small section in the centre of each cake and fill with a 
generous dollop (I love that word) of Nutella.




7. Next make the frosting. 
Beat the sifted icing sugar and butter together on a medium to slow speed until the mixture comes together and is mixed well.
Turn the mixed down the a slower speed and gradually add the milk.
When it is all Incorporated, turn the speed up to high and continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Around five minutes ought to do it.


8. stir in the Nutella spread by hand until evenly mixed and spoon onto the top of each cupcake.
The Hummingbird recipe says to top with shelled hazelnuts but I went for the classic
Mini Egg decoration instead.
It is Easter after all.



I decorated my cupcakes with these gorgeous little cupcake sleeves and toppers, which I found in my local bargain store.
You can pick them up all over the place at the minute for a very reasonable price.


These cost me a whole £1 for a pack of twelve sleeves and toppers.
I think they really set the cakes off.

Until next time,
Happy Easter.





1 comment:

Lee said...

Hi,Have just found your blog I love it.LOVE your pics and those YUMMY cakes.