Blogger Wordpress Gadgets

Saturday 29 December 2012

Feast your 'Mince Pies' on these!

 
 
Merry Mince Pies

 
 
 
 
 
What a hectic time these past few weeks have been - but great fun too.
I seem to have been in overdrive recently, what with Christmas preparations (baking like a mad woman),
Miss. B's school nativity (and costume creation), play group, and writing cards to people.
I had no idea I am lucky enough to have so many friends.
I think this is my first year of experiencing Christmas at full belt, and it's been such a rush.
 
Santa Claus arrived just as promised, and managed to virtually fill our sitting room with boxes and bags.
What lucky people we are.
I sat and watched the mini B's have so much fun experiencing the delights of Christmas.
 
 
Miss B searching for just one more present under the tree!
 
 
It made me feel so happy and lucky to have the lives that we do, and to be thankful for the things we have,
but most of all the true meaning of this time of year - family.
 
Our parents came for Dinner and fed their tummies until they might burst.
The Christmas pudding was delicious and I even managed a flame on the top with warmed brandy.
That pale blue flame was quite something to witness!
 
I do hope you all had a good time too.
 
 
 
As promised, I have written up the recipe for the mince pies I mentioned in my last post.
I apologise it didn't make it you you in time for the Christmas rush but hopefully you may have a little time to 'play' in the kitchen during the holidays.
 
 
 
You will need :
 
For the Christmas Mincemeat -
  • 900g mixed dried fruit (this can be a mixture of whatever takes your fancy)
  • 450g cooking apples, peeled and grated
  • 2 tsps ground mixed spice
  • 575ml medium-sweet or dry cider
  • 2 tbsp brandy
  •  
     
1. Simmer the dried fruits, apples and spice in the cider for about 20 minutes, or until the fruit is pulpy and most of the liquid has evaporated.
 
2. Pack into cooled, sterlisied jars and cover with a wax disc and cellophene cover, or store in a polythene tub. Keep in a cool place or the fridge until reuqired. It keeps for up to four months, so you can indulge yourself and make mince pies at Easter if you fancy!
 
 
Now to make the mince pies, I followed The Boy Who Bakes receipe which you will find here.
It is very simple and utterly delicious.
There is also a little secret ingredient which I shan't spoil by telling you about it here - you'll have to look at Edd's recipe to discover it for yourself!
I promise you'll  enjoy it.
 
 
 
Well, I shall wish you all a very Happy New Year
and enjoy your New Year's Day. 
 



x

No comments: